Quilt Preparation Reminders
- The backing and the batting must be 8" larger than the quilt top. This means that if the quilt top is 90" by 90" the backing and the batting must be 98" x 98".
- I recommend high-quality batting. Some are made with uneven density or are too fragile and may shred in handling. Others may beard and spoil your quilt.
- Your quilt top, batting, and backing should be separate. Please do not pin or baste layers together.
- The quilt top and backing must be squared and pressed, with all threads cut.
- Stay stitch 1/8" to 1/4" around the edge of your quilt to help prevent seams from becoming unstitched during the quilting process.
- Please ensure that your piecing and borders lie flat. Longarm quilting will not "fix" misaligned patchwork or the uneven borders that can cause your quilt to have puckers or tucks when quilted. Your quilt will be as free of pleats, fullness, or tucks as your piecing allows.
- If the direction of your backing is important, mark the top of quilt with a safety pin. Do the same with your backing if it is a directional fabric.